5.10.2010

7:47 AM.

She was born now, 38 years ago, the second of two. © Ryan Schierling

I was born now, 38 years ago, the first of two. © Ryan Schierling

As I grow older, these birthdays are either a celebration of the year to come, or a funeral for the previous year. There are times I don't know what to do with myself. I wander the house, from room to room, flipping light switches on and off again. I wonder how different things might be if she were here.

Whatever this day brings, she, and all of the paths that never had a chance to begin, are at the forefront of my thoughts.

1 comment:

smokinronniesbbq said...

mr ryan, my mom died of cancer at 39 when i was 20. now i have 5 son's who don't know what it's like to have a sweet grandma. every day i think of my mom, and every day i always will. the good Lord has a purpose for everything and everyone. we are not supposed to understand. we just live life and be happy the best that we can.